Share:
Notifications

Ryzen Memory Timing Tweaking  

RSS

Thaiminater
(@thaiminater)
New Member Registered
May 12, 2019 19:18  

I manually tuned my ram yesterday with the Ryzen Dram Calculator. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

With an 1700@3.7GHZ and 3000MHZ I got a 14 % min FPS Boost in Rainbow Six Siege. http://imgur.com/xGQKt6a h

http//imgur.com/R4DkITJ

Stalewind and Jim liked
SoulCheese
(@soulcheese)
New Member Registered
May 26, 2019 09:53  

I tried using the DRAM Calculator for my 1800X / x370 Taichi, couldn't POST, just kind of gave up.

ReplyQuote
muziqaz
(@muziqaz)
Trusted Member Registered
May 29, 2019 10:10  

DRAM calculator is fantastic tool to either find out the baseline for your ram, bad/or to fine tune it to the limit.

@soulcheese, I found my primary system did not like any advanced settings touched. I just set all the timings, voltage ,couple of main settings on the first tab, and it was golden.

I started up with timings set with adding few cycles. So if DRAM calculator says tRAS is recommended at 28 cycles, I would input 30. And test everything out, if stable start adjusting tighter. My system did not like anything set from Advanced tab, and also Termination Block was a big no no, so I left it on auto.

Maybe worth a try.

Asrock x570Taichi/3900x/Radeon7/16Gb3600Mhz/Samsung970Evo+Intel750Series/SamsungHDR-Freesync2
Hero7/2700x/Vega64LE/8Gb2933Mhz/DellUltraSharp4K
Blue eyed WRX STI

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
New Member Registered
May 29, 2019 10:35  
Posted by: SoulCheese

I tried using the DRAM Calculator for my 1800X / x370 Taichi, couldn't POST, just kind of gave up.

Understandable. Think of the Ryzen DRAM calculator as an approximation. Some people it works for instantly, others it does not. I used my own experience overclocking to achieve 3600 on my 1950X BEFORE the calculator came out (CL14-17-17-17 timings). After some BIOS and AGESA updates, 3600 wouldn't work, but 3466 started working.

I used the calc to get close to what I needed (running 14-15-15 now), but I have some timings, like tFAW, much tighter than recommended, etc.

Think of ram being unique. Each one will have variances, just like the silicon lottery on CPUs. Because of this, you will need to play with your settings to fine tune, which can take some time (and you need an OS backup because you may corrupt the OS in the process).

ReplyQuote
BrotherMichigan
(@brothermichigan)
New Member Registered
May 29, 2019 12:19  

I refer everyone trying to use the Ryzen DRAM Calculator to 1usmus's article over at TPU:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Tweaking_Overclocking_Guide/

The entire article is a good read for anyone interested in getting the most out of their memory on Ryzen, but I would specifically direct you to page 5, which lays out the sequence in which you should apply the settings suggested by the calculator in order to get your RAM running at the desired speed. It isn't going to work for everyone with every type of RAM (I never did get my Hynix AFR kit running at its rated speeds, even with the help of the guide and calculator), but trying to understand why the CPU/motherboard and memory behave the way they do will help you get more out of your system than just blindly messing with timings, etc.

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
New Member Registered
May 29, 2019 18:46  
Posted by: BrotherMichigan

I refer everyone trying to use the Ryzen DRAM Calculator to 1usmus's article over at TPU:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Tweaking_Overclocking_Guide/

The entire article is a good read for anyone interested in getting the most out of their memory on Ryzen, but I would specifically direct you to page 5, which lays out the sequence in which you should apply the settings suggested by the calculator in order to get your RAM running at the desired speed. It isn't going to work for everyone with every type of RAM (I never did get my Hynix AFR kit running at its rated speeds, even with the help of the guide and calculator), but trying to understand why the CPU/motherboard and memory behave the way they do will help you get more out of your system than just blindly messing with timings, etc.

That is a great suggestion and a great read! (I actually worked on it a bit before publication).

ReplyQuote
Stalewind
(@stalewind)
New Member Registered
May 29, 2019 19:59  

Nemesis and a few others on our discord use this tool, and I haven't yet. Now might be a good time so thanks for the additional encouragement to do some more tinkering under the hood.

ReplyQuote
Alex Stevens
(@alex-stevens)
Member Moderator
May 30, 2019 02:14  

I'm going to sound a bit silly here, but I've always tuned my RAM manually, I'm kind of curious how good this actually is.

ReplyQuote
muziqaz
(@muziqaz)
Trusted Member Registered
May 30, 2019 06:47  
Posted by: Alex Stevens

I'm going to sound a bit silly here, but I've always tuned my RAM manually, I'm kind of curious how good this actually is.

It's extremely helpful with tricky ram, the one which sometimes refuses to work on expected settings.

It at least gives you a baseline to start your own tweaks

Asrock x570Taichi/3900x/Radeon7/16Gb3600Mhz/Samsung970Evo+Intel750Series/SamsungHDR-Freesync2
Hero7/2700x/Vega64LE/8Gb2933Mhz/DellUltraSharp4K
Blue eyed WRX STI

ReplyQuote
Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
Eminent Member Registered
May 31, 2019 05:11  

You don't sound that silly to me Alex. I love manually tweaking new systems to get a feel for what does and doesn't actually work.

I am glad to hear the Ryzen DRAM Calculator works for some and the link provided by BrotherMichigan looks like a good read.

Overall this seems like a good forum to ask for help with Ryzen related ram issues. I am sure me and others can think of a few ways to help people out.

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!