Clear all

[nostalgia mode = on]I miss real computer forums  

RSS

Luke
 Luke
(@lukedotde)
Eminent Member Registered
July 22, 2019 07:56  

About 14 years ago, I joined SLIzone.  That was a nice forum.  There was a sense of community.  People joined to gain knowledge, discuss, troubleshoot, and you got a sense that you were contributing to a growing community.  

Reddit (r/AMD r/intel /Hardware) are toxic.  The closest you see to a contribution is somebody parroting misinformation. These are breading grounds for tribalism and stock manipulators.  When did every subreddit become the Jerry Springer Show?

I was hoping to get more of a "SLIzone" vibe from AdoredTV.  Is that what anybody else was looking for too?  If so, how do we grow "that"?  I'm curious about your thoughts and input.  

Jim?

Best Regards,

Luke

This topic was modified 12 months ago 4 times by Luke

Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
July 22, 2019 10:40  

Hi Luke!

That is exactly what I am looking for and I think I've found it!

This forum is the best experience I've had thus far.
I would much rather exchange ideas with a few people that are passionate about computers and technology then having a big but toxic community.
All the posts I've read on this forum thus far have been informative, well formulated questions, or both!

So a big thanks to you and everybody else for posting here and keep the posts coming!
Ype

@adored That includes you mate!

Luke liked
ReplyQuote
F7GOS
(@f7gos)
July 23, 2019 08:21  

Forums like anything take time and need to grow naturally. Make it a place which offers up real value to visitors and they will return. 

This forum does have that feeling albeit one that's still very much in its infancy

Feel Free to check out the F7GOS youtube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/F7GOS

Olle P liked
ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
July 26, 2019 02:35  

I also love good forums!

One huge problem has been that for the past decade many of those newbies that would benefit from forums has gone to Facebook instead, causing many older forums to more or less die from lack of (real) activity.
Instead there's been a huge increase in the number of bots that try to become "members" and spam the forums with nonsensical comments and ad-posts.

AdoredTV is a new site with a new forum, and the start is promising. Not to broad in scope, but narrow enough to attract the enthusiasts required to generate content value.
The next thing we need is activity. There won't be much activity if all users know the same stuff from start and agree with each other...

ReplyQuote
Luke
 Luke
(@lukedotde)
July 26, 2019 04:49  
Posted by: Olle P

There won't be much activity if all users know the same stuff from start and agree with each other...

Agreed...      😐

I also feel that one of the challenges with reddit is the upvote/downvote system.  I think it discourages creativity and discussion.  It maybe works just fine for r/Pics, but in a technical forum it's more of challenge than anything. 

This post was modified 12 months ago 2 times by Luke

ReplyQuote

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!