Share:
Notifications

Clean your heat sinks!  

RSS

yeehi
(@yeehi)
Eminent Member Registered
July 7, 2019 03:46  

An oldish GPU (GTX 780) was struggling with games. 

By removing the graphic card and clearing/cleaning the heat sink in the graphics card (using an unbent hairpin) the card was actually able to run games not possible before, due to overheating.

Try it! 

Next time, I shall try and make sure the graphics card is much easier to clean. Does anybody have suggestions on which manufacturers are good in this regard?

Pheatrix
(@pheatrix)
Active Member Registered
July 7, 2019 06:31  

If you clean it often pretty much all non-blower style graphics cards should be easy to clean by blowing air through it.

I never had any problems cleaning my GPUs. If you wait until the dust compacts itself it will be way harder to clean regardless of the cooler.

yeehi liked
ReplyQuote
F7GOS
(@f7gos)
July 19, 2019 06:50  

Disgusting HD7970

Like this one.. absolutely caked and the heatsink needed a power wash 🤣 

Feel Free to check out the F7GOS youtube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/F7GOS

yeehi liked
ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
July 19, 2019 14:12  

Brilliant video, F7GOS!

I am honoured you visited my thread. I hope you publish your excellent channel additionally on a platform which supports Freedom of expression, like Minds.com, or Bitchute.com.

ReplyQuote
F7GOS
(@f7gos)
July 23, 2019 08:22  
Posted by: yeehi

Brilliant video, F7GOS!

I am honoured you visited my thread. I hope you publish your excellent channel additionally on a platform which supports Freedom of expression, like Minds.com, or Bitchute.com.

🤣Im just a guy that likes tech, it's me who is honoured people out there watch the stuff.

But cheers ill have a look at Bitchute and Minds.

www.youtube.com/c/F7GOS

ReplyQuote
Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
July 25, 2019 10:48  

Hey F7GOS,

That is one dirty card you had there.
Reminds of hardware I come across with a mix of dust and smoke/fat residue.

Glad to see someone else that is passionate about cleaning up old tech and keeping it running!
-Ype

ReplyQuote
F7GOS
(@f7gos)
July 25, 2019 11:18  
Posted by: Ype

Hey F7GOS,

That is one dirty card you had there.
Reminds of hardware I come across with a mix of dust and smoke/fat residue.

Glad to see someone else that is passionate about cleaning up old tech and keeping it running!
-Ype

Its rather therapeutic truth be told! 

www.youtube.com/c/F7GOS

ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
July 26, 2019 01:45  

Dust can be a severe problem.

My primary solution is to use efficient dust filters on the air intakes of the case.
The typical dust filters are fine mesh, that doesn't stop really fine dust (like talc or flour), so I use an additional pollen filter to catch at least some of the fine stuff.

Posted by: Pheatrix

If you clean it often pretty much all non-blower style graphics cards should be easy to clean by blowing air through it.

One must take care to prevent ESD damage if using compressed air for cleaning. The gas molecules can get charged up as they rub against the nozzle.
Likewise using a vacuum cleaner can be damaging if/when the nozzle is charged with static.

ReplyQuote
Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
July 26, 2019 02:54  

@f7gos
It sure is mate!

@olle-p
If you think that sounds daring, wait till you hear how I handle really dusty cases!

At work a simple air pump usually suffices but I got an electric leaf blower on hand for special occasions.
I just make sure the system is grounded while I do it. ^^

A co worker was worried about the effects of the fans spinning up to such high RPM's so just to make sure we measured a fan while blowing air from the leaf blower directly through it and inspected the fan afterwards. 
It didn't seem to bother the mechanical side of things or do anything crazy on the electrical side.

I'm glad you mentioned filters!
I used pantyhose and thin pollen filters back in the day! 😀

I was curious how well the" dust filters" of my Fractal design case would keep out dust.
Turns out there was hardly any dust when I opened it up to upgrade from a 1600x to a 3600.

My CPU tower cooler and GPU looked completely clean.
Blew some air through them just to be sure.

Some dust had settled in crannies where there wasn't enough airflow to push it out of the case.
I didn't even bother cleaning those. 😀

Would love to hear about your adventures with dirty cases!
 -Ype

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by Ype

ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
July 30, 2019 07:36  
Posted by: Ype

Would love to hear about your adventures with dirty cases!

I think the worst I've encountered (some 10-15 years ago) was a desktop PC located at the administrative hub in the Intensive Care Unit in the hospital where I work. This PC was used as the server for all patient monitoring at the ICU.

One day the "server" just quit, and it was sent to the Swedish agent for repairs.
They opened it up and found "an entire doctor's coat" (equivalent in lint) inside it...

After cleaning the entire interior and replacing the cooling fans it was up and running again.
As a result of the incident cleaning of the inside became part of the regular preventive maintenance until it was retired some years later.

ReplyQuote
Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
July 30, 2019 10:25  

Wow I've never found that in a PC before. 😀
That's crazy!

ReplyQuote

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!