Clear all

Is Someone Listening me ?  

RSS

Emma Ryan
(@emma-ryan)
New Member Registered
July 8, 2020 04:00  

Is this me or happened with others too?

You are discussing about something say for example to buy a new chair with your friend and you have never searched about it on google and facebook for good recommendations, but suddenly after a day you start seeing ads of the chair dealers and brands of chairs.

Is this someone listening me?
Is it my phone listening me?

No matter whoever is listening, but it can lead to serious privacy concerns in future.

This time our voice is being used for ads re-targeting but may be in future something terrible could happened.

Sometimes it is too annoying to see ads of the things that you don't want to see in public.

Is there any way to stop this?  

And what is the future of this technology?

I am pretty sure that turning off google voice is not an option to stop all this?

there should be other way around too

Emma Ryan
(@emma-ryan)
New Member Registered
July 8, 2020 10:08  

OK FYI: I have already placed restriction and proper security checks, and have already turned off the google voice and enabled other security protocols. using these methods on how to turn off google voice.

So I think this is not the case, there should be another way around to stop this, or we should stop using these devices and turn to stone age.

ReplyQuote
tomsDinner
(@tomsdinner)
New Member Registered
July 11, 2020 17:28  

First of all, you are not crazy or paranoid or insane. It isn't "just you" and you are not "just imagining things".

I applaud you for even thinking of the possibility of someone or some entity spying on you. Most people wouldn't even consider such a thing. And if confronted with the possibility they would quickly dismiss it with phrases like "who'd want to spy on me" and "I've got nothing to hide anyway".

Truth of the matter is in this day and age, we are all victims of data collection, in one way or another, and most people are completely oblivious to it, or its extent. From cellphones companies tracking your whereabouts, to applications, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and Google knowing every thing there is to know about you, from what kind of shampoo you use to how well you are sleeping at night, what you eat, what you buy, who you talk to and even how often you have sex.

Now, there are good news and bad news. You can't become completely invisible unless you move off the grid and stop using telecommunications technology. But you can greatly reduce the amount of data that is collected about you and who has access to it.

The biggest leak by far is your smartphone device. A smartphone isn't just a sieve, it's a fire hose shooting out your personal information to anyone interested. Just by taking some small measures in this area alone you can greatly reduce your digital footprint.

Before going into details, I'll mention some common and known ways in which each of us is tracked on a daily basis. These go from unavoidable to completely within your control.

-Traffic cameras installed literally on every intersection in cities. (track your license plate)
-Security cameras everywhere, from malls to grocery stores. (track you through facial recognition)
-RFID scanners. These could be literally anywhere, on the street, on libraries, on shopping centers, or held by someone in your vicinity. They track you by accessing the information broadcast by the chip on your credit cards, "Secure" ID card if (if you have one) or US passport. In 2005 these chips could be read from 60 feet away, I can only imagine how far they can transmit your contact info to the world now.
-Wifi hotspots everywhere. They can be used in tandem with cellphone, to track your position.
-Your car. Specially Teslas, and completely electric vehicles.
-Your cellphone. Smart or not, your cellphone is constantly transmitting its position to the cell tower. You cellphone camera and microphone can give further details of your surroundings. Lets not even mention the apps.
-Your wearables. Insert your I-anything here. watch, pod, step counter, fitness band, etc.
-IoT(Internet of Things) appliances around your house. Or even worse "smart houses". If you live in a smart house, you might as well be living in a completely-see-through glass house.
-Your Mac or Windows computer.
-Your smart TV.

I will go through these and what you can do to reduce or eliminate these gaping holes in another post, as this one is already pretty big. But the extent of the problem should be apparent already.

This post was modified 1 month ago by tomsDinner

ReplyQuote
tomsDinner
(@tomsdinner)
New Member Registered
July 13, 2020 14:15  

Apparently my long, winded response needs "moderation" for some reason, so I'll post a short "remedy" for your problem. Take it as a patch that will slowdown your leaking tire, but won't prevent it from going flat.

No product from Apple or Google, or Microsoft (if they even make phones anymore) is safe. You need to install an open-source OS on your phone. If you are not tech-savy and aren't feeling adventurous, you can buy a phone with one pre-installed on Ebay or perhaps Amazon. For an android based OS, you can research LineageOS it is based on the free Android source code. For a completely free device you can choose, Pine64, or Purism.

Also, stay away from google, and google family products. (browser, search engine, email, office, youtube, etc.)

ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
Eminent Member Registered
July 14, 2020 03:59  

Yes, one can wonder if Google is eavesdropping.

Just the other week my wife and I had a discussion about some topic we'd never contemplated before, and minutes later ads related to that topic popped up on the tablet present in the room.

Google voice has never been activated on that tablet.

ReplyQuote
F7GOS
(@f7gos)
Eminent Member Registered
August 6, 2020 19:18  

Still never comes up with anything when I start talking about making millions within 10 mins.... come on Google.. 🤣 

Feel Free to check out the F7GOS youtube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/F7GOS

ReplyQuote

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!