Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Zen 2 - DDR4 will it do Dual Rank?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
Eminent Member Registered
July 31, 2019 05:26  

@remklep

Now that zen2 is out I can actually give you some solid advice.
I'll be using Micron-e die dual rank sticks for my next builds. They are cheap, clock high enough for zen2, tighten up nicely and are easy on the memory controller.

I haven't tested the quad rank configuration myself (two dual rank sticks in the same channel gets you quad rank) but that's what I'll be running/recommending on new systems.

Would love to know what you ended up with!
-Ype

ReplyQuote
Remklep
(@remklep)
Active Member Registered
July 31, 2019 05:41  

@Ype

Thanks for the follow up.
It's so nice that I have to wait until at least September for the 3950X, as in the mean time I can see all the new stuff coming out without having regrets of having bought stuff too early.

I have been a big fan of the Samsung B-die chips G.Skill used, last month they announced the Trident Neo series for AMD.
Supposedly you can get a 4 stick 32GB DDR4 3600 14-15-15-35 kit that would be DR on an Ryzen system.

That's what I have planned to buy.

ReplyQuote
Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
July 31, 2019 06:09  

@remklep
Sounds wonderful!

If you got the money to get those sticks, go for it!
Sounds like it would be the best of the best.

I was able to get a set of single rank Samsung B-die for cheap.
It gave me something to tinker with and most people I am helping out with their ram settings are using b-die as well so no regrets here. 😀

I got a head start by getting the 3600 as well. I am surprised just how well it runs on my asus x370 pro.
I have no reservations recommending 3000 series CPU's for older boards as soon as the board partners have their BIOS up to snuff.

This post was modified 11 months ago 2 times by Ype

ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
July 31, 2019 07:08  
Posted by: Remklep

The Zen and Zen+ CPUs have had problems with dual rank memory by not clocking the DDR4 as high as the same size single rank DDR4 sticks.

My own experience is this:

Ryzen 5 1600 and two single rank sticks, mature BIOS driver: Won't pass POST if i use the XMP settings but must stay just shy of the 3,200 MHz XMP speed. Doesn't matter if I use automatic XMP detection or set the variables manually.

Ryzen 5 3600X and four dual rank sticks, immature BIOS: Just activate XMP and it runs with no problems at the XMP's 2,667 MHz.

ReplyQuote
muziqaz
(@muziqaz)
Trusted Member Registered
July 31, 2019 08:02  

Thanks for the info about ranks and UCLK. The problem with adding two more DIMMs is that it will become 32GB of memory which is kinda overkill. That would add extra pressure to mem controller as well. And I doubt I would be able to get identical DIMMs anyways.

Asrock x570Taichi/3900x/Radeon7/16Gb3600Mhz/Samsung970Evo+Intel750Series/SamsungHDR-Freesync2
Hero7/2700x/Vega64LE/8Gb2933Mhz/DellUltraSharp4K
Blue eyed WRX STI

ReplyQuote
Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
August 8, 2019 05:39  

@olle-p@muziqaz

I just got a new BIOS for my board so I flashed it during a coffee break and took a quick look at memory overclocking.

With my SOC voltage of 1.1V I was able to reach up to 1800 FCLK.
I maintained stability even when lowering it to 1.05V.

Pushing up to 1900/1900 took some more voltage.
Soc at 1.125V runs fine so that is what I am using currently.

As for my B-die,
At 3800 my kit does 16-16-16-32-48 at 1.4V.
cl14 is possible, but my kit needs 1.5V to boot into windows and 1.51 to stabilize.

For now I settled on 3800, 16-16-16-32-48, 1.4V with tuned sub timings.
Latency is 63.5 and read speeds fluctuate between 55.500 and 56.000 MB/sec in AIDA64.

I haven't fiddled with any of advanced setting yet.
Might find the time later but for now I am very happy with my settings.

Hope it helps!
-Ype

edit: I haven't fine tuned the voltages yet but it's a good approximation of what to expect.

This post was modified 11 months ago by Ype

ReplyQuote
muziqaz
(@muziqaz)
August 8, 2019 06:43  

Thanks for info. I haven't even touched mine yet. Maybe this weekend as we are expecting some bad weather during it, so will probably stay in. Also waiting for Asrock new bios if it ever comes out 😀

Asrock x570Taichi/3900x/Radeon7/16Gb3600Mhz/Samsung970Evo+Intel750Series/SamsungHDR-Freesync2
Blue eyed WRX STI

ReplyQuote
cog
 cog
(@cog)
Active Member Registered
August 9, 2019 06:11  
Posted by: @ype

@lukedotde @muziqaz
As far as I know memory IC's have to be able to run 1.5V without issues according to JEDEC specifications.
Above that your mileage my vary.

JEDEC DDR4 spec is 1.2V. Anything other than that is not JEDEC. XMP is not JEDEC.

https://www.legitreviews.com/what-is-the-safe-voltage-range-for-ddr4-memory-overclocking_150115

ReplyQuote
cog
 cog
(@cog)
Active Member Registered
August 9, 2019 06:15  

There was initial talk that Fclk (fabric) and Mclk (memory) needed to be 1:1 or 1:2. But now there is also Uclk (memory controller?). And there is some advantage for Fclk to be 1:1 or 1:2 with Mclk, but it doesn't have to be.

See Buildzoids recent video testing a wide mix of Flck/Mclk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10pYf9wqFFY&t=1s

ReplyQuote
Luke
 Luke
(@lukedotde)
August 9, 2019 07:13  
Posted by: @cog

There was initial talk that Fclk (fabric) and Mclk (memory) needed to be 1:1 or 1:2. But now there is also Uclk (memory controller?). And there is some advantage for Fclk to be 1:1 or 1:2 with Mclk, but it doesn't have to be.

See Buildzoids recent video testing a wide mix of Flck/Mclk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10pYf9wqFFY&t=1s

Shouldn't the goal always be lowest latency with the fastest IF while maintaining stability? 

ReplyQuote
Ype
 Ype
(@ype)
August 9, 2019 12:01  

@cog

I think we are confusing JEDEC speed/timings/voltage specifications, for instance at 2133Mhz effectively, with the JEDEC maximum voltage requirement for DDR4.

“1.5v is the absolute max we allow for XMP certifications. However, good DDR4 memory will run at 1.35v up to 3200. Technically, no “safe” (guaranteed) OC over-voltage but 1.35v or lower is best.” – Intel

From what I remember, this is because JEDEC specification mandates that all DDR4 IC's must be able to run at 1.5V sustained. The JEDEC document is behind a paywall but if you are not convinced, check out all the different manufactures maximum sustained voltages in their spec sheets.

Let me know if one of the spec sheets doesn't state 1.5V as their max voltage and/or you are sure that I am remembering it wrong! 😀

@lukedotde

I haven't done a lot of testing yet but for what I've seen thus far:

Check out how high your FCLK will go first.

If your ram overclocks just fine:
Set it to the highest FCLK ratio with loose timings, see if that works, then try to tighten it up a bit. Overclocking your MCLK beyond FCLK will worsen your latency and won't recover even at very high MCLK speeds.

If your ram over clocks poorly, lets say not beyond 1600Mhz (3200 effectively):

Set your FCLK ratio as high as it goes, see if that works, then see if you can tighten up your ram timings a bit more.
Once you get up to 1700Mhz a 1:1 ratio seems preferable.

I might find the time to test this fully but for now it's just something people could try if they have memory that over-clocks poorly. Perhaps Buildzoid has already done all of work! I haven't watched his video's. 🙂

Have fun playing with your systems!
-Ype

This post was modified 11 months ago by Ype

ReplyQuote
muziqaz
(@muziqaz)
August 9, 2019 12:36  

Yes buildzoid done quite a lot of testing, with most of combination people would run their memory. He has a spreadsheet with performance of each of his combinations, listing read, write, copy and latency. 3800mhz memory with 1900mhz IF speed has highest read, write, copy, and lowest latency(or one of the lowest, watched that video when it came out, so might not remember specifics).

Blue eyed WRX STI

ReplyQuote
Hardline.dk
(@hardline)
New Member Registered
September 12, 2019 05:30  

I don't think he ever got around to doing that quad rank testing he mentioned in the video.

I'd love more content like that from him though. It's very relevant.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!