Notifications

Where are all the DTR PC's?  

RSS

Lovetann
(@lovetann)
New Member Registered
December 16, 2019 03:19  

Hello!

This might seem like a rant, but its something i haven't seen being asked on other forums.

Recently, my 2013 ROG G751jt died. I tried looking for a replacement, but all i found was notebook sized gaming laptops that heat up very badly under load. Where are the DTR's with proper cooling? The G751jt ran games while staying below 60 degrees C. with no problems and fans barely spinning. 

My new laptop with I7 9750H, 16gb of ram, and a RTX 2060 mobile runs on 70-75 degrees. I tried undervolting and limiting FPS down to 60 and it helps. Cooling plate helps with 1-3 degrees too but the temperatures still exceed 65 degrees.

Fast forward to yesterday:
My friend needs a gaming laptop, and i thought, in the span of 8 months, maybe DTR's have become a thing again?
Wrong. They are all gone, i found the Helios series from Acer, which had a AMD and Nvidia configuration. But the thing costed like $2000, while my 2012 laptop with 8gb of ram, 256gb SSD with a 1TB HDD as storage and a i7 4710HQ with 970M GPU costed me $1099.

So the performance has increased by about 15-20% compared to my old laptop, but prices has increased by 20%-100%.

High performance laptops with great cooling at a low price is no-where to be found anymore.

This topic was modified 4 months ago by Lovetann

Topic Tags
Gilbert Guldlock
(@gilbert-guldlock)
Member Forum Moderator
December 21, 2019 13:32  

What exactly does DTR mean? I searched for it but I became none the wiser. In any case I have nothing to add to the subject as these types of computers are not my cup of tea 🙂

I moved this thread to Hardware and Technology as this is more of a discussion around a type of gaming laptops than a troubleshooting for a specific problem. 🙂

Olle P liked
ReplyQuote
Lovetann
(@lovetann)
New Member Registered
January 7, 2020 04:52  
Posted by: @gilbert-guldlock

What exactly does DTR mean? I searched for it but I became none the wiser. In any case I have nothing to add to the subject as these types of computers are not my cup of tea 🙂

I moved this thread to Hardware and Technology as this is more of a discussion around a type of gaming laptops than a troubleshooting for a specific problem. 🙂

Hi Gilbert.

Thank you for correcting my topic.

DTR is short for "DeskTop Replacement". Meaning they usually perform almost as great as desktops. They tend to be thick laptops with heavy specs. 

ReplyQuote
Pikolo
(@pikolo)
New Member Registered
January 7, 2020 07:17  

I've got a DTR - it's from 2017, but there are newer models in its line.  My DTR is a Dell Inspiron Gaming 15. i7-7700HQ + 1050Ti, for ~1k$ back then.

Dell has renamed line to Dell G5, and you can find the current model at https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/laptops/15-special-edition/spd/g-series-15-5590-se-laptop

Yesterday at CES, AMD announced that the 2020 Dell G5 refresh will have a Ryzen 4000 CPU and a Radeon 5600M, so it might fit your desired specification: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/34913-2020-dell-g5-15-amd-radeon/

I'm probably going to be getting it, as Nvidia's Linux drivers are a closed source PITA - they only got Optimus working in the middle of 2019, and that broke the HDMI port... On the other hand, AMD's open-source drivers regression testing has some catching up to Intel's, but they're good enough.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Pikolo

ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
Eminent Member Registered
January 8, 2020 07:34  

The closest thing available to your description of DTR is the "gaming laptop" category.

The typical regular laptop perform as well as any low cost desktop computer and fill the needs for most users.
If you want more computing power and space is at premium but you don't need the portability of a laptop there are many small form factor (SFF) computers that fit the bill.
The high end stuff cost quite a bit more now because (high end) graphics cost has gone through the roof.

ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
Eminent Member Registered
January 9, 2020 03:46  

Thinking about this some more I realise that the real answer is that the current regular laptops are the DTRs. They've just been slimmed a bit. You can find these in a very wide price range, depending on performance and features.

Then we have the ultra-thin or ultra-portable versions replacing those that previously were the size of what are now regular laptops.

ReplyQuote
Gilbert Guldlock
(@gilbert-guldlock)
Member Forum Moderator
January 10, 2020 16:38  
Posted by: @lovetann

DTR is short for "DeskTop Replacement". Meaning they usually perform almost as great as desktops. They tend to be thick laptops with heavy specs. 

Ah 🙂

I guess they are out of fasion. Thin is the thing 😉 But really, I think technology has reached a point where laptop chips have the capabilities of a better desktop just a few years ago.

If AMD's bold statement of "the best laptop processors ever made" and "desktop caliber performance" about Ryzen 4000 Renoir mobile family really holds up, then you really don't need a swollen big ass dragable laptop for powerful mobile/compact computing. There might still be some benefits to bigger ones, but since most people really want a portable laptop computer, the target group/number of potential customers for such a big laptop will be very small and not worth the cost of developing and distributing another model that is also very costly in itself and therefor a very high risk investment. Pretty much what @olle-p says.

AMD compared their flagship 4800H to Intel's 9700K and came out winning. I assume it's cherry picked and that real world performance is lower, but even so it's very impressive that they at all are comparable performance wise.

I looked at Asus' new models with AMD APUs showed at CES, and they were really impressive, although I would much prefer AMD graphics.

Personally I hate widescreen displays for computing and will stick to 16:10 for as long as they are available, so therefor I'm kinda stuck with Macbook Pros on portables. They suck in many other aspects though...

Posted by: @pikolo

[...]

Yesterday at CES, AMD announced that the 2020 Dell G5 refresh will have a Ryzen 4000 CPU and a Radeon 5600M, so it might fit your desired specification: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/34913-2020-dell-g5-15-amd-radeon/

I'm probably going to be getting it, as Nvidia's Linux drivers are a closed source PITA - they only got Optimus working in the middle of 2019, and that broke the HDMI port... On the other hand, AMD's open-source drivers regression testing has some catching up to Intel's, but they're good enough.

...but man, this looks like everything I'd ever want from a laptop. Except for the screen aspect ratio then. Certainly prefer the 2020 model aesthetics and layout over the 2019. Thanks a lot for mentioning it! ...until I saw the keyboard. Yuck! I cannot have that numpad thing 🙁 Is it possible to configure at order?

ReplyQuote

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!