Let's comment on the "Builds"!  

RSS

Olle P
(@olle-p)
Eminent Member Registered
March 19, 2020 05:18  

I refer to these builds.

My comment on the "entry level":

The storage is simply too small for a gaming computer. Having to uninstall and reinstall programs all the time is no go.

To make a more useful computer within (below!) that budget I'd do the following changes:

• CPU: Replace Ryzen with Athlon.
  • RAM: Opt for 2x4 GB instead of 2x8 GB.
  • Storage: Low cost ~500 GB SSD.
  • ... and it's probably possible to cut another ~$15 by picking a cheaper case as well.

With these changes the cost drops to about $300 (in the US), making it affordable also in geographic areas where pricing and/or typical income makes buying computers more financially challenging. The newer Athlons are good enough for gaming at 720p or 1080p using optimised settings in the games.

yeehi and Jim liked
yeehi
(@yeehi)
April 16, 2020 04:02  
Posted by: @olle-p

I refer to these builds.

My comment on the "entry level":

The storage is simply too small for a gaming computer. Having to uninstall and reinstall programs all the time is no go.

To make a more useful computer within (below!) that budget I'd do the following changes:

• CPU: Replace Ryzen with Athlon.
  • RAM: Opt for 2x4 GB instead of 2x8 GB.
  • Storage: Low cost ~500 GB SSD.
  • ... and it's probably possible to cut another ~$15 by picking a cheaper case as well.

With these changes the cost drops to about $300 (in the US), making it affordable also in geographic areas where pricing and/or typical income makes buying computers more financially challenging. The newer Athlons are good enough for gaming at 720p or 1080p using optimised settings in the games.

Nice

The Enthusiast Build has the Ryzen 9 3900X CPU, but the Ryzen 9 3950X has been out for some time now. This build ought to be updated.

The builds should be given a version number which makes clear the date it was specified. For example, if the Enthusaist Build were re-specced today, it could be given the version ID:

E-20-04 (E=Enthusiast, 20=2020, 04=April) 

If this were updated again in June, it could be:

E-20-06

To avoid confusion between Entry and Enthusiast, you could assign N to eNtry, and E to Enthusiast.

There should also be an L for Liquid Cooled builds, and a S for Small Form Factor builds and an F for Free builds (using only open source hardware.)

Here is an example spec for a Free computer:

https://tehnoetic.com/tet-d16ws

Here is an example of a high-end, Free computer for AI in mind. (You would probably want a Pascal based GPU though, like a 1070, for the nouveaudrivers.)

https://www.raptorcs.com/content/TL2PA1/intro.html

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by yeehi

Jim liked
ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
April 17, 2020 09:19  
Posted by: @yeehi

The Enthusiast Build has the Ryzen 9 3900X CPU, but the Ryzen 9 3950X has been out for some time now. This build ought to be updated.

There's a price difference between those two CPUs. Why spend extra on a 3950X, and what other part should be cut back to free up that price difference?

I think the 3950X is overkill even for "enthusiasts" with the 3900X being a bit better all round.

yeehi liked
ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
April 18, 2020 05:10  
Posted by: @olle-p
Posted by: @yeehi

There's a price difference between those two CPUs. Why spend extra on a 3950X, and what other part should be cut back to free up that price difference?

I think the 3950X is overkill even for "enthusiasts" with the 3900X being a bit better all round.

Thanks for pointing that out, @olle-p. I didn't realize the price difference between the two CPUs was so incredibly large:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/tLCD4D,t7CFf7/

The 3900X is a £300 odd pound CPU, the 3950X is £600 odd pound CPU! You could put that money into a far faster graphics card instead. You would certainly need a lot of "enthusiasm" for the 3950X!

Jim liked
ReplyQuote

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!