Share:
Notifications

GPU price war ahead  

RSS

Mercurio_casimir
(@mercurio)
New Member Registered
July 5, 2019 10:14  

looking like the Navi cards are getting a price cut before they launch, AMD baited Nvidia into keeping higher prices while AMD is under cutting them by 100$ at the same performance point. Yet all of these cards should be another 100$ of their current MSRP.  id like to see AMD make some  money, lets hope Navi will be embraced for having the better drivers and performance at a lower price.

Goatenstein
(@goatenstein)
Active Member Registered
July 5, 2019 11:20  

I agree that the prices would ideally be $100 cheaper, but it's better than nothing. Mediocre Navi prices are better than the crap we've gotten from Turing.

It does make the RTX 2060 and 2060 super look rather silly, so that's a win.

I hope that Navi really cuts into Turing's sales, so Nvidia will have to start a pricing war, which would hopefully bring prices down to sane levels. Super only helped a little. I guess we'll find out in 6-9 months time if this pans out.

"There are no solutions, there are only tradeoffs"
- Thomas Sowell

ReplyQuote
Goatenstein
(@goatenstein)
Active Member Registered
July 5, 2019 12:38  

I just noticed something very interesting. In Jim's second Navi leak, the alleged RX 3070 had 40 CUs, a TDP of 130W and was supposed to perform the same as a Vega 56. My guess is that the 5700XT is this card, just overclocked. And yes, the rumored card was supposed to cost $200...

The alleged RX 3080 XT was supposed to compete with the RTX 2070, but with 56 CUs. Instead RX 5700XT is doing that. This makes me hopeful that when larger Navi GPU's are released, they can once again compete at the ultra high end. 

Also, if the 5700XT was downclocked to about 1220 MHz, its power consumption would be approximately 130W (assuming TDP scales with base frequency squared). This would lead to a 25% performance deficit, so it would perform similar to a Vega 56.

This lends support to Jim's leak. It looks like AMD last minute decided to overclock their GPU's to gain mindshare and get larger profit margins. It also makes me hopeful that low power Navi variants will kick tail.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Goatenstein

"There are no solutions, there are only tradeoffs"
- Thomas Sowell

ReplyQuote
F7GOS
(@f7gos)
Eminent Member Registered
July 5, 2019 15:29  
Posted by: Mercurio_casimir

looking like the Navi cards are getting a price cut before they launch, AMD baited Nvidia into keeping higher prices while AMD is under cutting them by 100$ at the same performance point. Yet all of these cards should be another 100$ of their current MSRP.  id like to see AMD make some  money, lets hope Navi will be embraced for having the better drivers and performance at a lower price.

Remember though, AMD would have still made money at those lower prices, just not as much money. 

New node and GDDR6 for sure but its not like polaris was built on an old fab. 

And you can bet your bottom dollar Nvidia is still making healthy profit with the oversized turing chips so even though its a new fab process theres no reason that a chip of Navis size needs to be priced to match the RTX line. 

.. roll on the inevitable holiday sales 🤔 

Feel Free to check out the F7GOS youtube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/F7GOS

Loykyes liked
ReplyQuote
Loykyes
(@loykyes)
New Member Registered
July 5, 2019 22:06  

As long as AMD focuses on selling the cards, they don't have to be too concerned about Nvidia. It was a nice outplay for them to ploy Nvidia into playing their hand so AMD could outplay them in the end with the "real prices". 
We have to be thankful nonetheless. I'm not fanboying here and saying I love AMD more so than Nvidia but what I'm saying is, despite all that has happened they will make money. RX 5000 series will sell well, even if Nvidia is still making profits from RTX.

ReplyQuote
Spud4cus
(@spud4cus)
New Member Registered
July 6, 2019 18:15  

With the new pricing of the existing RX 5000 series, and depending on the reviews tomorrow I think AMD will be pretty happy that they are making the RXT 2060 Super and below cards look a bit stupid (depending on what value you put on ray tracing). They would have liked to rope the RTX 2070 Super into the mix, and who knows maybe they will with the RX 5700 XT anniversary edition. Either way, will Nvidia leave their low-mid range cards twisting in the wind, or will they also make a price drop.

Neither AMD or Nvidia have catered for pre-orders on their cards, so Nvidia could follow track after AMD's launch on the 7th and just before their own launch on the 9th. I wouldn't put it past them to do so, but that would probably mean repricing their entire stack which I'm sure they would be loathed to do. If they were to do so, then would AMD retaliate? My guess is they would when the custom cards launch (which won't be easy), in a few weeks time.

Or, Nvidia will do an Intel, and do nothing relying on a superiority complex to get them out of trouble. It didn't work for Intel and it won't work for Nvidia, marketing does have its limits.

This looks like AMD are going to try and whittle Nvidia away from the bottom up, but with Navi 20 waiting in the shadows. Interesting times friends.

I'll shut up now and and continue to chomp on some pop corn.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Spud4cus

ReplyQuote
Luke
 Luke
(@lukedotde)
July 22, 2019 08:23  

Still playing with my 5700xt and thinking that if the AIB cards come in at the same price point can comfortably push 2100Mhz the 2080 will probably drop it's price a little.  

ReplyQuote
Mercurio_casimir
(@mercurio)
New Member Registered
July 23, 2019 13:54  

i recently did buy a 2nd hand Radeon 7 for 470 Euro. them 16Gb of Vram is what pulls my eyes. i Rather have the extra Vram as in the past it have proven to be future proof. and i feel like the 8Gb of Vram on my Vega 64 is almost not enough inn 1440P as in total war warhammer i sometimes cap it or its hovering around 7GB Vram usage. Ultra max settings ofcourse.

ReplyQuote
F7GOS
(@f7gos)
July 25, 2019 10:10  
Posted by: Mercurio_casimir

i recently did buy a 2nd hand Radeon 7 for 470 Euro. them 16Gb of Vram is what pulls my eyes. i Rather have the extra Vram as in the past it have proven to be future proof. and i feel like the 8Gb of Vram on my Vega 64 is almost not enough inn 1440P as in total war warhammer i sometimes cap it or its hovering around 7GB Vram usage. Ultra max settings ofcourse.

the 16GB is a nice thing to have in your back pocket right enough.

I had a RTX 2060 in a few weeks back and I really struggled to use that card when making videos, not only did I regularly hit VRAM limits but on the whole it was just so slow at "actual work" stuff.. Good in games (and as long as you didn't attempt to use DXR) 

Thats why I ended up with Vega tbh... very versitile card!

Feel Free to check out the F7GOS youtube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/F7GOS

ReplyQuote
Luke
 Luke
(@lukedotde)
July 26, 2019 07:51  

Vega is a great card!  It's just a bit power hungry.  My Vega64 liquid was just on the edge of being completely capable for 4k freesync gaming.

ReplyQuote
Mercurio_casimir
(@mercurio)
New Member Registered
July 29, 2019 16:14  

The 5700xt might be the best 4k Gaming card as long as you down scale the resolution to 1800p and use Radeon image sharpening, you get better FPS then at 4k but with crisp looking graphics still.

as i dont game at 4k i dont need to buy a Navi card. yet... i dont plan on going 4k until 2022 as the earliest mark. 1440P is more than enough for now. im waiting for HDR to get even better and for panels  to get a greater color depth. i want CRT color grading for these LED panels. And Nvidia is still holding HDR back as their cards arent made for that with their compression of textures and colors to cheat and make games look worse in order to gain FPS and be able to use less VRAM on their cards. And if a Nvidia card runs out of Vram they will choose to not render certain areas of the environment in order to maintain FPS.

This is the main reason to use Radeon Cards ! more Vram and they dont cheat you with lowering the color spectrum that the card uses.

ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
March 5, 2020 05:39  
Posted by: @mercurio

Looking back, how true was your prediction of a GPU price war? How did it manifest? I hope you managed to make good decisions as a result of your prediction, if it was correct.

ReplyQuote
Mercurio_casimir
(@mercurio)
New Member Registered
March 5, 2020 10:44  
Posted by: @yeehi
Posted by: @mercurio

Looking back, how true was your prediction of a GPU price war? How did it manifest? I hope you managed to make good decisions as a result of your prediction, if it was correct.

i did get a second hand Radeon 7 as i want Vram. i ran out Vram in total war warhammer 2 in big battles on my vega 64. 

ive been tending to find a very stable driver and stick with it until a new driver that works as intended is released.

its not odd for a new arch of GPUs to have unstable drivers, but i fear that ASUS, gigabyte and MSI have made AMD cards look much worse then what they are due to very flawed and poorly designed coolers that are the major cause of the Navi problems.

yeehi liked
ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
March 5, 2020 11:33  

@mercurio

Good info, @mercurio.

How long after the release of those dodgy graphics cards with the poor coolers was it until people realized there was some issue with them? 

I used to like waiting till the the right hardware appeared and then pouncing, but these days it seems that if you buy untried hardware, you are just paying to beta test the manufacturers' first attempts. 

I would like to build a system based on the next AMD socket, and get the best, early CPU for it, but now I think, why? Why not just let others get the misery of the faults and then see.

ReplyQuote
Mercurio_casimir
(@mercurio)
New Member Registered
March 5, 2020 12:47  
Posted by: @yeehi

@mercurio

Good info, @mercurio.

How long after the release of those dodgy graphics cards with the poor coolers was it until people realized there was some issue with them? 

I used to like waiting till the the right hardware appeared and then pouncing, but these days it seems that if you buy untried hardware, you are just paying to beta test the manufacturers' first attempts. 

I would like to build a system based on the next AMD socket, and get the best, early CPU for it, but now I think, why? Why not just let others get the misery of the faults and then see.

well about a month after ASUS did release their crap the gig was up for them after hardware unboxed did cover the poor performance of the cards. 

id give it 3 months after the next AMD socket, but i dont think will see that until 2021. this year should still be AM4.

ReplyQuote

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!