Notifications
Clear all

Transport Fever 2 - Utterly Superb!  

RSS

yeehi
(@yeehi)
Eminent Member Registered
March 26, 2020 06:02  

This game is totally brilliant. If you ever enjoyed a train set, you really ought to see this in action. It is a dream come true!

You lay out your tracks on beautiful terrain, replete with birds, trees and animals, and choose your train engine and carriages. You build train stations.

What makes this such a joy is that you can zoom in to see the engines in full glory, and hear them running. You can transport passengers or cargo. I absolutely loved the campaign in Glasgow, where you ship in iron ore, coal and make steel. You then need to ferry in whisky from the west coast islands (you have paddle steamers too!). Then it is a West Coast line to bring in workers from the Highlands.

That campaign alone would give you hours of fun, but then there are the planes too! You can hear the rotors on the Junkers, and as time progresses, you can establish routes for other planes like the DC-10. This game could save your life, it is such fun in this time of Coronavirus!

It needs a bit of a clearer explanation of how the signals boxes work. Good modding community too. This game can only get better. Definitely worth a look! I would love to hear what you think of it.

Main Page

https://www.transportfever2.com/

Video:

https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=yK2__WGmhPw

Topic Tags
Olle P
(@olle-p)
March 26, 2020 06:07  

Seems like a slightly updated version of the classic Railroad Tycoon.

ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
March 26, 2020 06:55  

@olle-p

Railroad Tycoon was a brilliant game, especially for its time. (Sid Meier ensures quality control on his games and is a good designer.)

What is hard to appreciate it until you play Transport Fever 2 is the fun of jumping into one of your locomotives and enjoying the beautiful view and sounds as you travel through the scenery. As you go along, you recognize the other trains on nearby lines, and it is enjoyable knowing what cargo they are carrying and their destination.

It doesn't feel like a rehash at all when you play it. For me, it is like a train set of the mind. I love it.

ReplyQuote
francisbaud
(@francisbaud)
New Member Registered
March 31, 2020 14:43  

That seems like a complex and rich game, I wonder why they don't put more emphasis on planes in the video.

ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
April 2, 2020 17:38  

@francisbaud

I don't think I would have tried this game if it had been planes only. The trains, the engines, have real appeal. There is something satisfying about laying track and connecting two places, helping industry and commerce. It is very enjoyable to see the old planes, the history, on the Islands maps. The views are superb! Considering the hours of entertainment in it already, and it is early days still, it is a good buy I think.

ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
April 13, 2020 07:25  

@francisbaud Another aspect to enjoy is the tropical islands. It is quite fun to see the steamers sail between little harbours dotted around the islands. 

ReplyQuote
francisbaud
(@francisbaud)
New Member Registered
April 13, 2020 15:07  
Posted by: @yeehi

@francisbaud Another aspect to enjoy is the tropical islands. It is quite fun to see the steamers sail between little harbours dotted around the islands. 

I love tropical islands, it must be fun to play in this environment.

ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
April 14, 2020 07:42  
Posted by: @francisbaud

I love tropical islands, it must be fun to play in this environment.

Then you should like Tropico. I've played several of the editions and enjoy them quite a bit.

It's a political/economical sim, where the player is "El Presidente" in a caribbean banana republic.
My experience is that in that game tourism is the best long term source of income.

francisbaud and yeehi liked
ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
April 14, 2020 16:28  

@olle-p Have you played the "Democracy" game? I think it is up to Democracy 3 or 4 now.

https://www.positech.co.uk/democracy4/

ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
April 14, 2020 16:30  

@francisbaud It is great fun, especially if you role play as somebody who doesn't care about making a profit and just wants an easy life! It is fun then to enjoy the views of the boats, instead of focusing on building a huge transport empire, taking the game slowly and easily. There is a mod for infinite funding, which adds to the enjoyment! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Olle P
(@olle-p)
April 15, 2020 05:58  

@yeehi

No, I haven't. Not the same cool music and tongue-in-cheek as Tropico.

ReplyQuote
yeehi
(@yeehi)
April 15, 2020 06:35  

@olle-p Tropico does have catchy music!

https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=21OMgg9BXk8

https://invidio.us/watch?v=X3Bv8bToKLM

This post was modified 1 month ago by yeehi

ReplyQuote

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!